|Character Design Team Lead|
|The position of Character Design Team Lead requires someone with a very strong artistic eye and flair for character design with the ability to adapt to a variety of different styles. This profile will also serve as mentor and manager for all character designers within the Art Department.
Successful applicants will have excellent communication skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work collaboratively with multiple tasks in a fast paced production.
|Key Areas of responsibility:
Works closely with the Art Director/CG Supervisor to set the required look for show.
Responsible for pushing character designs to help define the look and feel of the show or concept.
Create colour artwork for 2D Asset Designs if required.
Communicates that design across departments, 2D through 3D phases, working closely with Directors & Art directors on main or complex designs.
Do draw overs on 3d Models ensuring clear direction of design changes.
Approve expression sheets for all characters.
Review all turnarounds and give notes to the designer or make small amendments as required.
Working with the Production Manager to have an awareness of the schedule.
Responsible for script breakdown into sets, props, layouts, location designs and re-use where possible.
Maintaining quality and style under tight deadlines
Works closely with the Production team, 3D & 2D Artists and Directors, Art Director and Client.
Supervise the quality control (both technically and visually) of the external asset assignments and ensure the outsource partner has clear direction.
Department Team management responsibilities
● Act as line Manager for a team of 4 to 8 team members. responsibilities include:
○ team member performance issues related to workflow and pipeline
○ appraisals every 3 months
○ Bi-Weekly one to one’s with teams
● Mentor and train your team of character designers,
● Collaborate closely with department coordinator, Head of art department, Art Directors on assigning the correct artist to project tasks.
● Help reinforce that all technical guidelines and rules are followed correctly.
● Provide leadership and support to character designers, both creatively and technically, and ensure they partner effectively with Production Management and they deliver their goals.
● Assists in the casting decisions for projects.
● Collaborate with the head of department on recruiting to help identify top talent for the team.
Must have at least 4 - 6 years’ experience working as a Lead character designer (or similar position) in either broadcast or feature film work
The ability to adapt and work in a variety of different styles.
A good understanding of anatomy.
Strong working knowledge of colour, art and design (preferable but not required)
Clear communication and follow through on tasks.
Task Driven, self-motivated, and proactive
Good understanding of an 3D animation production and how 2D designs translate into 3D models for animation (a big advantage, but not required)
Must be able to communicate in an articulate and positive manner.
Must take direction well.
Must be comfortable with leading and mentoring a team of character designers
Contract type: Fixed Term
Portfolio should show examples of a variety of different style, Characters, layout, props and turnarounds.